With construction starting next week on my layout table, I had to at least decide on a size for this project, and the final decision is to do two 4 x 6 tables for a total of a 4 x 12 layout. Some people over the years have said to only do 3 foot wide, but seeing as I’m 6 ft 2, I have a pretty long reach. Besides, I will be putting Plexiglas or some other form of barrier up to prevent “nose dives”.
With that in mind, here is my tentative layout plan. It gives me most of what I want in one shot:
- 3 main lines for a fair amount of visual action
- a nice 7 track yard with a 4 stub engine servicing area (which I may reconfigure, but we’ll see) and a caboose track.
- a passing siding for a station, with a spur for either an REA building or just plain storage section for a not-in-service passenger car.
- a couple of other spurs for industries, plus room to add a bit more if I want
- room for some different types of scenery
So with all that in mind, I think this might just be it. We’ll see, right?